Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Elwha River Trail, Whiskey bend to Elkhorn Area

Well after months of cabin fever, gear modification and more cabin fever... The weather and the majority of things cooperated enough to get out and take a backpacking trip. Initially the hike was going to be the weekend after my birthday, but it wound up being Easter weekend. So we postponed the hike for the following weekend.

Basic rundown, Jesse and I went to the Elwha River trail off of whiskey bend road and set out to reach Elkhorn ranger station and setup camp. Well we made it there, and the really good spots were already filled, so we hiked between 1/3 to 1/2 mile to the semi-adjacent camps further up river to scope out a campsite. Rough approximation for mileage was 23.5 miles out and back. What a great way to kick the season off.

This post I'll dedicate to the pictures of the trip. Then I'll have post another one on gear reflection. How well some of the new stuff worked, any short falls, things to change for improvement, and rule number one if you know you won't need it ignore the crowd telling you to bring the extra heavy layers... Anyways here's the photos.

Gear list for the Trip can be found here.
http://rooinater.blogspot.com/2009/04/trip-planning-and-gear-list-for-elwha.html
or under gear lists, The trip and gear reflections will be posted soon.


My assorted grub for the hike.
food for hike

My gear ready to be stuffed.
gear to be packed

Me at the trailhead.
Start

Jesse at the trailhead.
start

Micheal's Cabin
micheal's cabin

Jesse in a clearing.
Photobucket

Me alongside the Lilian River.
Photobucket

Jesse and I alongside the Lilian River.
Photobucket

Jesse alongside the Lilian River.
Photobucket

Lilian River bridge
Photobucket

Lilian River
Photobucket

Jesse hiking up to the second switch back after Lilian River.
Photobucket

Jesse finding a better way to cross the bridge (not using it) after I about ate it into the creek. The bridge was crooked and slick, worse than last year.
Photobucket

Some random fungus on a tree.
Photobucket

More water...
Photobucket

Colorful plants... I want to say Oregon Grape, but I'm sure that I am wrong.
Photobucket

Mossy forest.
Photobucket

Jesse near some water cascading down a rock face along the trail.
Photobucket

Same spot, but me.
Photobucket

Crossing a tributary of the Elwha to get out to the main river for a look see.
Photobucket

Jesse and I out on the bank of the Elwha.
Photobucket

A view upstream of the Elwha.
Photobucket

Jesse taking another route back to the mainland.
Photobucket

More wooded trail...
Photobucket

Me with a partial shot of Mary Falls in the background.
Photobucket

Mary Falls
Photobucket

more water cascades
Photobucket

Jesse alongside the Elwha near canyon camp.
Photobucket

Such clear water...
Photobucket

Wishing it was fishing season, and that I had a fly rod with me.
Photobucket

mmm... ClO2, treating some water.
Photobucket

Taking one last look before getting back on the trail.
Photobucket

Photobucket

more water
Photobucket

Photobucket

Jesse at Elkhorn
Photobucket

One of the 5 or 6 deer we say.
Photobucket

Camp and cooking
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The Ultra20 quilt and NEOair.
Photobucket

The cold and brisk morning after, about 36 to 37 degrees outside.
Photobucket

My Myog vest that was keeping me very warm.
Photobucket

On the way to Elkhorn
Photobucket

Elkhorn
Photobucket

Photobucket

Trail shot after Elkhorn
Photobucket

Nice view
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Atom,
    Great pics with the StickPic!

    Here is a great tip.

    If you were not planning to crop the finished pics, you can slightly tap the zoom IN before taking the shot and the trekking pole won't be in the shot.

    Happy trails,

    SierraShade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lucked out, the Olympus Stylis 1050sw on the #1 stickpic for the REI UL Peak poles doesn't get the stick in the way on standard zoom.

    ReplyDelete