Search This Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lightweight Map Cases

As you might know I tend to analyze all my gear and decide where the weight is unnecessary and than I try to determine how to trim it down to a more reasonable weight. This year when I switched over to using a Green Trails map or Custom Correct maps on all my hikes now I was in need of a map case. The Green trails maps are about .45oz a map so they as themselves are fairly light and I won't go to the extent of how some people trim the hell out of their maps to save minute grams. For me having the escape route or other options along the trail still on my map is very important. If you trim the map to hell you could lose ridge lines and peaks that could be vital for triangulating your position if you get lost. So I started off with the proverbial Green Trails map case since I needed one in a jiff for the the Elwha trip earlier this year. From the get go I noted it's heaviness, and when ounces quickly add to pounds the 3.95oz Green trails case is excessive. Yes, it will last forever but the weight of an extra 1/4 pound negates the luxury of carrying a non waterproof .45oz map, which is an actual carried weight of 4.4oz with a map. So the quest for the lightweight case began. All the production map cases I found were around 4oz or heavier so I started looking elsewhere.

The proverbial Green Trails map case.
Photobucket


While I had my large OPsack out of my URSack I noticed it was about the same size as the Green Trails maps case and since it is odor proof it is waterproof. So here I will highlight 2 alternative options I have found to be effective.

The 3 Cases side by side.
Photobucket

If you aren't going on a super long hike, maybe 8 to 15 miles or so out and back or a small enough loop you can fold the map down to fit in a 9"x10" OPsack you can reduce the map case down from 3.95oz to .55oz. Which brings your total carried map weight down to 1oz with a weight savings of 3.4oz.

The small case with a map folded inside.
Photobucket

The next option I have found effective is using the large 12"x20" OPsack, which will just fit a Green Trails map without having to actually fold it. It's a tight fit around the seal so you might need to curve the map into a U shape as you slid it in. The weight of a large OPsack is about 1.2oz, which brings the carried weight of the map down to 1.65oz with a weight savings of 2.5oz.

The large OPsack case with the map unfolded inside.
Photobucket

I will note that their are some kinds of coatings that you can coat onto your maps to make them waterproof, but in order to do all your maps I'm sure the cost adds up along with the hassle of sealing them. For me it's about simplicity while adding effectiveness with lightweight, and I'm too lazy to seal a bunch of maps to test the weight of the map sealants. With a case all I need to do is slip it in and I'm on my way with a watertight map case. I also understand there are printable maps that you can buy, but money doesn't allow that for the time being.

What do you use as a map case or ways to protect your map from the rain?

2 comments:

  1. To seal my maps, I use Sno-Seal (for boots) that I apply rather generously. By working this product into the map on both sides and letting it sit overnight, I come out with a completely waterproof map that I could fall in a river with and still use it. That said, It is true that I could not achieve the same emergency flotation capacity your map cases have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I change maps all the time, so it's quicker and easier to just use a map case for me! I'm too lazy to seal every map I own, and since I seem to be buying a different Green Trails or Custom Correct map evertime I go somewhere I'd be sealing a lot of maps... I might try sealing the maps this winter and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete