Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Grace Lakes at Stevens Pass August 2nd, 2009

(FYI, click on the picture to see the full image I tried to use larger images and was only able to get them so that you can click on them to view the entire picture... I'll continue to work on using Picasa and get it to eventually give bigger pictures. I think I figured out what needs to be done to save space... I'll do it on the next blog...)
I was going to try and hit up Surprise Lake, but supposedly there is a fire in the valley and I didn't want to mess with it. The second option was Lake Valhalla off of the PCT via the Smith brook trail, but that required a 3+ mile drive on an eroded dirt road on a vintage motorcycle. At dinner the other night Doug mentioned Grace Lakes, which I finally decided on. I got some fly suggestions from some fishermen on Washington Fly Fishing Forum and a couple suggestions from the Gig Harbor Fly Shop and I was set. The trip was about 3.25 miles per Nat. Geo. Topo! software and approximately 984' of elevation gain. I didn't get to print out a good map before I left since Heather's printer was out of ink. Granted I snowboard Stevens all the time and new the general way, and I have a good sense of direction and know how to use landmarks, a compass, along with having a good ability to follow the elevation profiles. In all intensive purposes bring a map!





Sunday morning was a late start, with several delays, not to mention a cold morning ride... I grabbed some coffee in Vinaccio's in Sultan on my way up to the pass. After I got to the pass I locked the bike up and hit the "trail". I'll warn you there is no designated trail to Grace Lakes, my 50 hikes in the Wild Sky/Stevens Pass area guide book does note this and my topo program doesn't even show anything. Basically you head to the base of the Brooks Chairlift, the one that accesses the terrain park, and cut up the run alongside the Half Pipe and connect to the service road under the Brooks Chair. All you do is follow the service road and keep near the brooks lift until you reach the top of the lift. At the end of the lift you continue on and you'll see a faint fisherman's path. If anyone goes up here, please bring a machete and clear out the "main" trail...

From the Base area.


Crossing under the Brooks Chair.


Where the path turns from a service road to way trail.


From here you pass the first Tarn which is just under the Winnie Chutes off of the Barrier Ridge ski trail. I didn't see any fish life and it appeared to have no fish movement along with being small and shallow. I followed the "trail" further back and hooked left at a very faint junction. Shortly there after I came across a very small lake. I setup the fly pole up with the same fly as Sheep Lake and waded out. The lake's bed was very muddy and I probably scared a lot of the fish... I casted for awhile and only got a bite on one of the first casts. I kind of got frustrated and remembered some advice that was given to me by one of my first fly casting instructor/ family friend, "Try another fly"... So I tied on a fly that I got from the bargain flies at the Gig Harbor Fly Shop, and walked around to a more open portion of the lake. I casted out, and bam! mini fish on! In a little over a half hour in the same area of the lake I caught 4 different little 6" to 7" what appeared to be Brook Trout. I fished on for a little while longer and than decided to move to another lake.

The tarn under the Winnie Chutes.

Approaching the first lake.

The first fish of the day.


One of the fish in the first lake i believe.


Hoping that I'd be able to make it to several of the lakes and Ultimately find some of the cutthroats that were supposedly planted there at some time in the past... I stumbled across the next pond and casted out. I caught 3 more fish at this lake and 2 near misses. I mean near misses as in I got it right in front of me within a couple feet, pulled out my pliers and it had freed itself before I could. I was running low on time since I said I wouldn't be out all day... So I poked around on all the high spots on the way back looking for the other lakes. I spotted the next lower Grace Lake which looks like it had plenty of potential for some more small trout.

The 2nd lake from the outlet/way trail.


One of the many fish.


From the far side of the 2nd lake I fished.


One of the many frogs along the way.


Looking out towards Skyline Ridge area.


Winnie Chutes over the Tarn past Brooks.


Looking down from the top of Brooks.



Looking down the service road and out towards Skyline Ridge.


All in all this trip was a blast! Granted I'm just starting to get back into fly fishing this year, but trips like this really get me excited and wanting to continue on with adding more fly fishing to my hikes. I'm catching and releasing fish, which was my point of going! I'd really like to do an overnight or all day trip out to this area! There isn't any lunker trout hiding out, but tons of fishing opportunity.

1 comment: