Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2009

A Lake Which Shall Remain Nameless, Solitude Within a National Park

This lake by no means is a heavily visited lake and is the most solitude on a Friday that I have ever had at this particular park. The trail is an unofficial park trail in an unlikely place, and it is not maintained to any park standard. There is a steep but short ascent and descent to these beautiful lakes while being the shortest hike I've done all season. Friday we started out at an undisclosed location and hiked a short way to our cutoff trail and began the steep ascent to the pass along the ridge line. Here we dropped down at a fairly steep angle until we were the majority of the way into the basin where the trail started having a few more flat spots between elevation drops. Since this is a seldom used area, there is some bush whacking, downed trees and lots of faint way trails in every direction. So if you find this hike, as you approach the basin you might want to have a decent sense of direction, because as you reach the first lake there are faint side trails everywhere and there is no well defined path to the second lake or along side the lakes. The second lake is extremely shallow through most of the lake with several deeper swaths like where a current runs through during the snow melt, while the upper lake just drops off fast all around. I fished for a short while while Sarbar made some lunch. No fish were jumping and nothing was biting my dry fly. So as I came back for lunch and was eating... What decides to make a couple leaps and taunt me? Of course a couple fish... So I hurried in that general direction and casted out a few times when all of a sudden the wind picked up and my line went crazy mid cast and entangled itself... That ended my fishing day and we headed back up and out to the car since I needed to be back in time to show my car which was for sale.

Sarbar's blog post

The sunrise with a lovely side of traffic on Highway 16...

The peak near the pass we had to cross.
Sarbar on the way up.
A gorgeous view of a fading meadow.
Sarbar cresting the pass.
The hills above the lake basin.
Some of the first views of the meadows on the eastern side of the upper lake.
Craggy peaks above the upper lake. It resembles Crystal lakes in so many ways, other than the one campsite is tucked in the trees with no view and the lake drops off fast.
The shallower lower lake.
The shallower lower lake.
Me at the outlet of the upper lake.
Fly fishing at the upper lake, I really needed a float tube...

A glimpse of one of the most dominating peaks in the southend.
One last view of the upper lake on the way out. If you look hard on the far right of the picture you can see the hole in the trees where the lower lake is.
Sarbar and the basin's walls behind.
A sketchy section of trail with precarious and slippery alders strewn across the trail.

1 comment:

  1. I commented at your friend's website, but she hasn't given me any responses yet.

    So, where is this place? I'll kept it a secret....

    william

    ReplyDelete