Search This Blog
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Stilly Humpy Fishing 9/25/2009
On Friday Dad and I sorted through some fishing gear I was given and we picked out some components that might work for an all around Salmon fishing setup. Granted the stuff was ancient equipment and we weren't expecting the rod to last, even on humpies... Dad greased up the reel to revive it's function, and we went to Hook Line and Sinker and got 150 yds of 20lb green braided line with 50 yds of 80lb Dacron backing installed onto the behemoth of a reel. We headed back to the same spot that we went to last time on the Stilly and started fishing. Cast 1... Bam! fish on. This ancient "steelhead" rod had nearly no backbone, and even the humpies were flexing the rod nearly to the grip... So the expectations of the rod lasting through the day was slowly declining. After hooking into about 4 humpies the rod seat fractured around the rod, which made the reel seem a little loose, but was as tight as it could get, so I kept fishing. After about hooking into 6 humpies, about one every half hour the sun was setting and we headed in, cause I had a long drive home. So now I'm in the market for an Ugly Stik, and will be headed down to Cabela's today to take a look at some rods, compare prices and see if they actually have the lures I use in stock.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment