Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

The Mass dehydration has begun... Hiking Season is Upon us in the NW.

With El Nino bringing in high snow-levels in the Pacific Northwest, It's time to start prepping for early season backpacking trips! Last night I fired up the trusty Cabela's commercial dehydrator and started drying the first of several large loads of Staple backpacking foods. The staples are the main ingredients that I mix and match for making my backpacking meals and need around in mass quantity for the just in case there is a last minute dash out the door to a trail-head. Having a large store of dehydrated ground turkey, re-fried beans, chicken, chili, pasta and several other ingredients prepped and dryed lying around make it easy to throw several simple dinners together at a last minute dash to the trail head. The ground turkey by far is the most used ingredient in most all of my backpacking adventures. If you need a quick/light/cheap meal on the fly, grab a Lipton/Knorr pasta or rice meal, dump half a cup of turkey in and you have an instant dinner.

Last night I started off with shoving 12 cans of re-fried beans into the dehydrator, while tonight will consist of 12 cans of Costco chicken. Later this week will be 8 or so pounds of pasta, 10lbs or so of ground turkey and an arsenal of canned chili to follow. The beans can be used in anything from fluffing up a meal, to tacos, to cutting the chicken that I use for lightweight chicken wraps for trail side lunch. What are you doing to prep for hiking season?

What 12 cans of dried refried beans looks like.


Also a few things that are on order is a set of driducks and a 700mL Ti mug/cookpot from backcountry.com
I'll have a new mug highlight post as soon as the mug shows up and I can run some boil tests and install some measuring marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment