Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lobster Shop Wall (Deadman's Wall) and Les Davis 6-4-2010

Sonia had been mentioning for sometime now about taking me out to the Lobster Shop Wall. Today the tides were at a low exchange, and Sonia's tide predictions were right on the money so we didn't have any current at all. The dive started out with having such poor visibility in the first 15 to 20 feet of the water column that I was wondering if it was even worth heading down to a 100' + to not even be able to see anything. As we dipped below the mucky upper layer (which I couldn't even see to my fins...)the vis started to open up and continued to get better as we approached the wall. I've read about how in places this wall just drops off into a dark abyss well beyond 220'... Even knowing that as we approached the wall between 90' to 100' I couldn't help the initial eerie feeling as I looked down into certain blackness... Sonia motioned to me to keep an eye on my gauges since we could easily exceed the recreational dive limits here and along the wall we went. I kept directly behind her, and just below her so that I could also see what she was finding along the wall. Sonia has a knack for finding all the cool life along the way. With visibility probably reaching around 30'+ I was extremely stoked that my light had more of a limiting factor than anything else. As the no deco time wore down on the computers we headed up and over the wall to start slowly working our way up the steep embankment to the surface. Sonia and I each found a bottle along to the way to keep. We had lunch at a little cafe just a short drive from the waterfront.

Our dive profile for the Lobster Shop Wall.

Dive 2 was an exploration at Les Davis. We headed out to the tire reef (the boundary for scuba diving), which in places is more like random tire piles just a little further apart than what you can actually see... We meandered around the north end of the tire piles for awhile and Sonia found a bottle with an octo in it. It was fairly small, but was in for a ride... On the way in the current started to pull against us... When we got back to the car, Sonia decided on a nap instead of a 3rd dive so we called it a day.

Dive profile for the dive at Les Davis.

No comments:

Post a Comment